Jüdisches Rottenburg
Font size: A A A
  Diese Seite Drucken

Baisingen and its Jewish Community

synagogue in Baisingen Jewish cemetery in Baisingen

The first record of Jewish residents in the village of Baisingen-Rottenburg was in 1596.They lived for almost 400 years in Baisingen and were an intact rural Jewish community until 1938. The cemetery dates back to 1778 and, after the synagogue,is the second most important reminder of the Jewish community in Baisingen. After the emancipation in the 19th century, many Jews built houses which still dominate the aspect of the main through road today.The aforementioned Baisinger Synagogue was built in 1784, however in 1938 during the Kristallnacht, also known as Night of the Broken Glass, the interior of the synagogue was devastated. Thereafter, the building was used as a barn until being completely renovated and opened as a public memorial in 1998. As a result of the restoration, all phases of the building’s history are now visible

 

Information:
Kulturamt Stadt Rottenburg
Obere Gasse 12
72108 Rottenburg am Neckar
Telefon: 0 74 72 / 165-351

Further pages:
Gedenkstätte Synagoge Baisingen - the synagogue in Baisingen (Link to Stadtverwaltung Rottenburg - site in German)

 

The Hailfingen-Tailfingen Memorial

WTG-Bild

In the winter of 1944/1945, Arbeitskommandos (prisoners of war forced into hard labour) from the concentration camp Natzweiler/Alsace built a night-fighter airfield on the plain between Hailfingen and Tailfingen, on the site of an existing airfield which had been built in 1938. There had also been a camp, surrounded by a barbed wire perimeter fence, which had been built, it is thought, in 1942 for approximately 100 Russian prisoners of war. In addition, there were other prisoners working at this camp: French prisoners of war, Belgian civilian workers, Italian volunteers from the Wehrmacht of Nazi Germany, a group of Hungarian soldiers and, from January 1945, 300 members of the British Army in India who had been taken prisoner in North Africa.

 

On 19 November 1944, 600 Jewish prisoners were transported from the concentration camp Natzweiler-Struthof to Hailfingen. The majority of the prisoners had come from Ausschwitz, with 50 from the Baltic States. They were aged between 14 and 60 years old and came from 16 different countries. They worked in the surrounding quarries on the enlargement of the existing runway and the building of two taxiways, felled trees and were deployed in the removal of unexploded ordnance.

The prisoners were accommodated in a fenced-in hangar. There was next to no sanitation and no medical care whatsoever. The major cause of death amongst the prisoners was malnutrition, the cold, diseases and the effects of hard labour. 186 prisoners are known to have died.

 

On 14 February 1945, the last transport left Hailfingen and the remaining 296 prisoners were deported to Dautmergen. The date and place of death of 267 of these prisoners has since been verified. The fate of a further estimated 200 prisoners is still unaccounted for. 124 are known to have survived. In June 1945, the corpses of the Jewish prisoners were exhumed from a mass grave situated at the south-east of the runway.

 

At the end of 1985, a Society of Friends was set up in order to erect a memorial and one year later a memorial stone was unveiled at the Tailfingen cemetery.

 

In 2002, the registered society “Gegen Vergessen – für Demokratie e.V.” began to research and document the history of the camp. In 2007, the community of Gäufelden resolved to establish a permanent exhibition in Tailfingen Town Hall and the town Rottenburg am Neckar erected a memorial on the site of the airfield. In July 2010, the Hailfingen-Tailfingen Concentration Camp Memorial Site was opened.

 

  • The Memorial is open all year round (by road from Tailfingen)
  • School classes and group visits ( exhibition room, seminar room with archive, memorial) by appointment: Tel. 07032-7802101
    The exhibition room has an archive with over 1,000 digitalised documents, documentary films, and literature about the Holocaust.
  • Sunday opening times: the exhibition room is open every third Sunday in the month from 2pm to 5pm. (Closed during school holidays)

 

Further pages and Information (in German):

In a video, Israel Arbeiter, a former forced labourer and survivor, talks about life in the concentration camp upon his return visit to the site of the camp.

(A film from Bernhard Koch – www.schwarzer-panther-film.com – on youtube)

 

Further material, particularly suitable for school classes, can be found at the following address: www.zeitreise-bb.de

 

 

2014 WTG-Rottenburg

 Highlights tourism

Hiking in and around Rottenburg
We are pleased to announce the publication of a guide to walking and hiking in the Rottenburg area. In ...

Hotel booking
Would you like to stay overnight in Rottenburg am Neckar? You may use the direct online booking system ...

Two webcams in the historical old town
From the webcam at the market square you can view the heart of the town. This is an ideal way to wa...

Login